Kiki's Conundrums and Complexities

A blog about all things kiki. Hello kitty, ipods, music,exercise, running, books, movies and michigan.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Race Recap

Yesterday was the Toledo Zoo 5k event, which I participated with my mom and my hubby.

This is the first 5k I've done since completing the couch to 5k.

Race morning, the weather was a bit chilly, but nice and sunny. We left home a bit early since my hubby needed to register onsite. I think it was good we got there early, because although registration didn't take long, it took us forever to find anyone who knew where the start of the race was. Finally we found out about 20 minutes before the start of the race.

We got to the area with plenty of time and did some warm -up walking and stretching. It is hard to gauge how many people were there...perhaps 600 or so. Everyone was gathering at the starting line, so we found our place and be for we know it the race had started even though there was no real annoucement or anything it was weird.

We were in the middle of the pack, with some of the slower joggers and the fast walkers, but ahead of the baby joggers, the guy pulling the wagon and the really slow walkers. The race took us through the neighborhood around the zoo and so we started running. My mom and I pretty much kept a steady pace, running with each other. My hubby runs a bit slower and didn't want us to run with him, he likes running by himself I think. We ran for as long as we could then walked a bit and ran again. The neighborhood was pretty shady and we weren't in a huge pack of people so it was good. I also liked that I wasn't going in a big loop three times which is how the shamrock race was.

We finished the first mile in 12:40 which was pretty good, as we started on the second mile, we wound down this street, that the faster runners were already coming back, that was a bit disheartening since they were so much faster then us. About 1.5 miles in I think there was a sprinkler that was spraying into the street and it felt really good to run through it. I was running with my fuel belt so I had water with me, which I think helped or else i would have been really dehydrated. We kept going running with each other and then one would pull head while the other walked or jogged slower behind...then we would catch up with each other until one had a burst of energy and then it would repeat.
It was good to have cars, houses ,trees and other scenery to use as goal points. I would run to certain car or tree and then set the next goal . Walking sometimes after I completed my goal, sometimes just continuing running. The second mile we were at about 25:30. I started to get a cramp at this point, so I walked a bit. Had some water and soon felt good to run. The last mile wound back into the zoo, and it was well marked and they had people directing us which was helpful. We ran through the botanical gardens and through the main paths of the zoo. Both taking turns of who would lead and who would follow. Then running side beside again. I lost my mom for a bit, when she turned the corner and I feared I had gone of track. For the most part we were head of the walkers and behind most of the runners, so we didn't have a big group by us ...Which was good. The final stretch had us going up the zoo entry ramp which is a pedestrian ramp that is very steep and the down the other side.....And the we wound one of the service streets and back around. We did a pretty good job of keeping a steady/ run walk pace, but had no real concept of our exact time. We turned the last corner and saw the finish line and we had been walking a bit , but we picked a point and started running. I then saw the official race time and realized I could finish in under 40 minutes and I picked up my pace. Officially I don't know my time, but I think it was 39:30 or close to 40. I felt pretty good when done. My mom and I finished at the same time which was fun. I am very proud of the both of us. For doing her first race in less then 40 minutes is awesome. My time was improvement of 5 and half minutes off the race in March which is great for me.

My hubby also did excellently. He finished in 45:30, which is amazing since he has along been running for about 7 weeks.

Our next race will be in two weeks. I hope to run a bit more outside before then.

UPDATE: My mom finished in the top 3 in her age bracket. Go MOM!!
My official time was 39:57.

Activity Recap
Saturday
5k 39.5 minutes
Sunday
Walking
50 minutes

8 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Blogger Random Musings said...

Congratulations, Kiki!! I think what you have accomplished is wonderful.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

Congrats to you three! I'm proud of you. It sounds like a fun race. I have fond memories of trips to the Toledo Zoo. It's great that you ran together. Good luck in two weeks in A2.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Jenniy said...

Congrats to the three of you!!! :)

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger Simba's Mom said...

YAY KIKI!!! I just heard that you beat out Mom by a few seconds. Now I am sure she will be gunning for you the next time!

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger bstab said...

I'm so happy for all three of you. You are my official heroes.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger comebacknikki said...

Very cool! Congratulations! :)

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

That's awesome that she was 3rd in her age group!

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger Mia Goddess said...

It sounds perfect! And, wow! Your time was so rockin'...it's like 5 full minutes off your goal.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home