Kiki's Conundrums and Complexities

A blog about all things kiki. Hello kitty, ipods, music,exercise, running, books, movies and michigan.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Working out while sick

Ok, so I need some advice. I have the startings of a cold or perhaps allergies, too hard to tell at this point. My only symptoms are congestion and runny nose, but I am annoyed enough to stay home from work tomorrow.

My question is , do I skip the gym tonight or go....I will definitely not go to the gym tomorrow. Thats a rule in my family if you are too sick to go to work or school, no social type activities. Or at least it was a rule when I was little and I try to follow it.

That means I will miss my friday run , and if I skip tonight that will be two nights in a row i don't go to the gym. I could not go tonight and see how I feel tomorrow night.
I could go tonight, see how I feel and if it sucks go home.
Thoughts???

In other news, I walked at the mall for 55 minutes this morning and took a 20 minute lunch time walk to subway, during both I felt fine.

Any personal experiences or opinions would help.
Thanks

6 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Blogger Simba's Mom said...

I would at least try to give it a go tonight. If it sucks, then go back home. At least then you won't feel guilty tomorrow when you are laying around watching Oprah.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

I've read that with anything above the neck it is okay to run/exercise. Anything below the neck (i.e. chest congestion) it's better not to run/exercise.

I agree with Simba's mom. Give it a try if you feel bad, you can always stop. Don't go crazy and over do it.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger mouse said...

I've heard the same thing shoreturtle has about the above/below neck theory. But my personal opinion is that if I felt sick enough that I was going to call off work the next day, I wouldn't exercise that night. If you really are in the beginning stages of illness, your body will need all of it's energy to fight off the ickies... so the less you exert at the gym, the more your body can concentrate on making things right again.

just be careful and take it easy if you do go... my roommate had an awful case of the flu last week. she said she felt like she had been run over twice by a truck, so it's going around these parts.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Random Musings said...

Mouse gives good advice. I have been over 2 weeks getting rid of what ever respiratory virus that is going around and it is nasty. Let you body fight with all its defenses....exercise can wait a few days!

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger angie's pink fuzzy said...

i'm with mouse.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Rae said...

I try to rest a little more when I'm sick, esp if I have a fever. I don't run as far or just do lighter/easier type stretches.

Hope you feel better soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home