Kiki's Conundrums and Complexities

A blog about all things kiki. Hello kitty, ipods, music,exercise, running, books, movies and michigan.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Frozen Running

When the temperature this morning was 4 degrees when I woke up to go out running , I really wanted to just skip today and go back to bed. I knew I couldn't do that. I thought about running later in the day, but I knew if I put it off the temperature wouldn't be much higher later in the morning and that I would probably say screw it and just skip it.

I wasn't really sure how to dress for 4 degrees with a windchill of at least -12. I put on the shirt I usually wear to run in, on top of it I added a long sleeve t-shirt, and then my sweatshirt. I wore lined windpants instead of sweat pants to hopefully stop the wind. I had a scarf, hat, gloves and of course I wore the hood of my sweatshirt as well.

I headed out. It didn't seem to cold as I head up the street for my walking warm up. I decided today that I would go on a different route both for change of pass and I knew that there was an asphalt walking path that would be easier then running on sidewalk. So off I went. Things seemed fine at first. I headed South on the path and my first run and walk went fine....then the path ended and I had to turn around ...which meant running/walking into the wind. It was so cold that my glasses didn't fog, they frosted. I ended up taking them off. I decided that I would walk into the wind and run away from the wind. So I trudged on. My pace was slower this time, partly because of the cold and ice, and also because I am trying to pace myself better.
I read how to breathe in my new running book so I tried that and it seemed to work better, I was less winded. I was tired by the end of my second 3 minute run, but it wasn't as unbearable as last time.

I headed back to my apartment which took longer then the 3 minute walk at the end of the program. I was too far away from home and had to walk into the wind the whole way.
I got back to the house and realized that I had done it, and it wasn't that bad.

I am very glad that my next run isn't until Tuesday when it will at least be 30 degrees.

I am mall walking on Monday, not my usual cup of tea, but I am trying to motivate some of the older people in my office to be active and so I am walking with one of them monday before work.

I got up so early this morning that I am almost already done with doing the laundry and I have already cleaned the bathroom and kitchen. Crazy.

Last night I finished my sixth book Vanishing Acts, and started Prep .


I may need a nap soon and it is only 10am

4 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

You get a gold star for getting up early to run in the freezing cold!

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Simba's Mom said...

You are CRAZY!! Great job kiki!!!

 
At 12:17 AM, Blogger Rae said...

Good for you!! I hate heading into the wind, it's the worst!

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger kikis' sister said...

You are doing such an awesome job. There are lots of pretty places to run here-along the canals.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home