Kiki's Conundrums and Complexities

A blog about all things kiki. Hello kitty, ipods, music,exercise, running, books, movies and michigan.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Cooking 101

Today I cooked dinner for bagelboy and I . Now you may think this is a normal thing, wife cooking dinner for her husband. In my household, this is a rather rare occasion. Don't get me wrong, I can cook and do when it is necessary, but for the most part I leave the cooking up to bagel boy. Why, because he enjoys it more then I do , and he is good at it.

That being said, I decided that since we were staying home so he could watch football( instead of going to the in-laws as we usually do) that we should cook dinner instead of getting subway which was our original plan.

We were already at target so we headed over to Meijer to see what was on sale. Bagel boy wanted to get a bunch of foods that would definitely not fit into our eating healthier plan, so told him I would find something and I would cook it . We bought some boneless skinless chicken and sweet potatoes.

I got home and looked for something to marinate the chicken in, only to find that we only had barbecue sauce and a mesquite marinate that bagel boy bought accidentally. I wasn't thrilled with these prospects and decided I would have to wing it. I used lemon juice, lime juice, garlic seasoning, a bit of rosemary and some other random stuff to create a marinate that ended up tasting pretty decent when I taste tested it.

Now keep in mind here, that I usually cook from a recipe or cook things I am already good at cooking or I use a recipe.

Well today I was without either, so I asked bagel boy for advice and ended up baking the chicken breast. Now being the good wife that I am, I thought I would make corn muffins or corn bread to go with the meal since I know bagel boy likes them. Sadly, I opened the package of mix that didn't expire until 6/06 only to find some bug inside. This was not a good start to my cooking. Out to the trash that went

The chicken finished marinating and and went into the oven. I then decided I would mash the sweet potatoes since I am good at mashed potatoes and they were sort of similar. Luckily ,they turned out perfect.

In addition to the chicken and sweet potatoes, I made winter squash (the kind from the freezer). I was pretty impressed that things turned out well, and that bagel boy actually ate everything and said it was good.

I only ended up slightly burning one pot holder, (which got too close to the burner that I forgot was on).

For some reason, cooking things I am not used to cooking stresses me out. Hopefully I can gradually learn to cook new things and be more comfortable in the kitchen.

3 Comments:

At 1:39 AM, Blogger kikis' sister said...

I don't know how many times that I have burned pot-holders..

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Simba's Mom said...

Same goes for me and the pot-holders. Cooking stresses me out too, but it sounds like your dinner came out great!

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Rae said...

I have many, many memories of kitchen fires my mom started with potholders!!! She even did it not that long ago when we went to visit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home